Non Scarring Alopecia
Non scarring alopecias are a group of hair loss disorders that lead to thinning or balding of the scalp without scar formation around the follicle. They are the most commonly seen hair loss conditions. Patient may not have any symptoms or report many itching.
They can be caused by:
- Autoimmune attack of the follicle: Alopecia Areata
- Chemotherapy: Anagen effluvium
- Fungal infections
- Hormone effects on the follicle: Male and Female Pattern Alopecia
- Impulse disorders: Trichotillomania
- Systemic insults to the body (post-pregnancy/ surgery, thyroid disorder, medications): Telogen Effluvium
These conditions can be managed with topical minoxidil, topical and injection steroids, oral medications (anti-inflammatory/ immuno-suppressants/ anti-androgens/ 5 alpha reductase inhibitors), low level light therapy, platelet rich plasma, or hair transplant surgery.