Pre-Operative Instructions for Platelet Rich Plasma
- If you develop a fever, cold, or flu, or develop a cold sore, blemish, or rash, etc. in the area to be treated prior to your appointment, you must reschedule (we will not treat you).
- It is recommended, if you have a special event or vacation coming up that you schedule your treatment at least 2 weeks in advance (we prefer 3-4).
- If you are being treated in the lip area and have a history of Herpes (cold sores) with outbreaks more than 4 times a year some practitioners recommended that you are pretreated with medication. This office recommends Valtrex 2GM the day before or the morning of the treatment and then another 2GM’s.12 hours after the first dose. **Please let us know that you need a prescription if you do not have this medication on hand. **
- Discontinue use of anti-inflammatory drugs (steroidal and non-steroidal) such as: Aspirin, Motrin (or any other Ibuprofen drugs) at least 3 days to 1 week before your treatment. With PRP, we "want" inflammation this is one of the mechanisms of how PRP does its work.
- If you are or have been on Systemic use of Corticosteroids (steroids) within 2 weeks of treatment, we cannot treat you. Consult your physician for approval to discontinue use of steroids and receive treatment.
- Discontinue use of any other blood thinning agents such as: Vitamin E, Vitamin A, Gingko Biloba, Garlic, Flax Oil, Cod Liver Oil, Essential Fatty Acids (EFA's and DHA's) etc. at least 3 days to 1 week before and after treatment to minimize bruising and bleeding.
- It is recommended that you avoid: Alcohol, caffeine, Niacin supplement, spicy foods, and cigarettes 3 days before and after your treatment. (All of these may increase risk of bruising)
More about platelet rich plasma..